Wednesday, November 30, 2011

Saddest Plant Ever

Recently due to family need, I was away from home for 18 days.  Now I have lots of great friends that offered to help, but the house was going to be cooler than normal and my husband would be able to water midway so I thought the plants would be fine.... and really they were.  But do your remember the below plant from the earlier, plant post?

Doesn't it look all bright and happy.  See all the new growth at the bottom, under the big stalks? 

When I got back from from this trip, this plant looked pitiful!  It was clearly crying out, "Help, I'm dying!" 


Look at how flat those stalks are on the counter and the leaves are just hanging!  I've never seen stalks flatten like this.


So, I pulled it quickly out of the cold window as we turned the heat up in the house and I gave it a glass of water.  I assured it all would be well, turned the light out and headed to bed.  Hey, our flight got in at 11 PM. 

The next morning sure enough, it was acting like a rubber plant and bouncing right back.  I tell you what, plants really should get the best actor award for "poor pitiful me" acting.  Here she is perking up after less than 24 hours.  Sure, I have some dead leaves to pull off the plants, but it looks like they have all survived the experience.



The moral of this story:  Most plants react pretty well to so-so care.  Give them water when you see them complaining and they'll come back, with that "Hah, we scared you" look.

No comments:

Post a Comment