Thursday, March 8, 2012

Salmon Croquettes

We had a lovely meal this week, especially for a Wednesday.  I love working at home as I can prep bigger meals through the day.  In this case Salmon Croquettes are a fancy way of saying Salmon Patties, but they really were the best Salmon Patties I've ever had.  I had a recipe for the Salmon that I printed off from Saveur.   The rest of the meal, I decided on after I already had the Salmon Croquettes together.



Salmon Croquettes

Now, this Salmon Croquette recipe has quite a few steps, just a warning.  You can find the whole recipe here on the Saveur website.  Below are some of my thoughts.

First, it called for Old Bay Seasoning.  I do not have Old Bay Seasoning, which those that have seen my spice cabinet may not believe.  But, I do have every individual spice, so I just looked up a recipe for that seasoning online and made it myself.  I used this Old Bay recipe I found on about.com.  Aren't I handy?



Next, you actually simmer the fish in a mix of water, Seasoning, and white Wine.    This is a new step to me, but it imparted some great flavor in the Salmon.
You'll notice in the recipe there is a lot of let sit for 1/2 hour, let sit for 1 hour.  I think the purpose is just to meld the flavors and sett the croquettes so they don't fall apart.  You can plan ahead to do this, but note, I only let my patties sit for 20 minutes at the end and they didn't fall apart.

Now, it tells you to measure them out in 1/3 cup size and pack them in.  Check out how perfect my Pampered chef, wet and dry measuring cup worked for this!  I just packed it in and pushed the cup to get them out.  This is the best measuring cup ever for things like peanut butter, sour cream, yogurt, etc.


The patties came out in perfect shapes and sizes.

As you can see, I had red onion in the fridge, but isn't that colorful?



Butter glazed Carrots

This is called, what do I have in the vegetable drawer?  Carrots ... slice, slice and I have a vegetable.

Quinoa with Kale, Green Onion, and Toasted Almonds

Never underestimate the joy of quick cooking grains like Quinoa and Couscous.  While they cook, just slice up some green onions and greens, toast some nuts, and mix in appropriate spices.  Tada! You have a side.


Did anyone grow up with Salmon Patties?  These are just a fancy version.

No comments:

Post a Comment