Monday, August 1, 2011

The Garden: The Good, The Bad & The Ugly

The Vegetable Report:
Well the big garden I share with a friend is doing well this year.  kale, arugula, lettuce, baby bok choi, kholorabi, beets, turnips, carrots, parsley and more are all growing like crazy.  In my little back corner garden I've eaten quite a bit of kale, arugula, lettuce, and beet greens.  My garlic and shallots and mint are going to town and I think I'll get good carrots this year!  In addition, our cherry trees did great this year and the rhubarb was as always yummy.  WooHoo!

But, there always has to be something that doesn't work and the past two years for me it has been squash.  Don't believe what you hear - zucchini is not as easy as they say it is to grow!  We left for Missoula a few weeks ago and the squash and cucumbers in the earth boxes where happy and flowering.  I thought - Yeah!  I'll have a zucchini when I return.  Imagine how bummed I was to return and find this....
Cucumbers were shriveled up and dead and the zucchini is covered with those darn white mildew spots.  I thought I had outsmarted the mildew from last year by using the earth box!  Sadness.  But luckily, the flower report perks me up.

The Flower Report:
I'll let the flowers speak for themselves, but I am really enjoying my front flower beds this year.  They are best enjoyed from afar, where they don't make me start itching!





Happy Growing!

No comments:

Post a Comment