Monday, February 13, 2012

Gelato and Biscotti

Yes, there is an Italian theme!  I got dessert duty for an Italian themed birthday dinner for a friend.  How was I going to choose among the many desserts, such as is Panna Cotta, many almond cakes, Lacy Florentines, and of course, Tiramisu?

Turns out I didn't choose any of those.  By the title I'm sure you've guessed I made Gelato and Biscotti.  I had both Mango and Chocolate Gelato with Dark Chocolate Almond Biscotti.  It was delish, if I do say so myself!  And, although we didn't take pictures you'll have to trust that the three pieces looked very pretty on a friends brightly colored plates!





Essentially Gelato is creamier and a bit less sweet than regular ice cream, otherwise it's very similar in make.

I used the Chocolate Gelato here from Epicurious.com, but I paid attention to the reviews and added a little bit more sugar, just the full 3/4 cup and I cut back on the coco to about about 3/4 cup.



I used the Mango Gelato linked here from food.com.  My only tip for Mango or another fruit is don't be stingy with they puree time.  I would have liked mine a bit smoother in texture and I think in so doing, it would have melded the pretty yellow color throughout more consistently.  I used a bag of Organic Frozen mango and that worked fine!




Chocolate Almond Biscotti

If you haven't made biscotti, you are missing out on a wonderful treat.  I think they are pretty easy, even if there are two baking times.  I used this great recipe from Giada as a base.  I just substituted the pistachios for almonds and added about 2/3 cup chopped dark chocolate.


This was an excellent recipe and your imagination is the limit as to how many variations you could make. Dried cherries would have been wonderful in these!  You can see in these pictures how you bake the biscotti the first time in one long and wide log.  Then, after cooling some you slice with a serrated knife and bake again to get that all over crispiness the goes so well with hot drinks and gelato!


No comments:

Post a Comment