Tuesday, June 12, 2012

Cookies and Appreciation

I've been trying to remind myself lately to appreciate where I am at this moment.  Who hasn't wished they could do that just a little more often?

It all started as I hiked to this viewpoint  a couple weekends ago, took off my hiking boots and took out my book thinking, hmmm not a bad place to spend an hour.


So while I have a cookie recipe to share today, I'll also share some of the recent places I've enjoyed recently.

Aren't these red cactus flowers pretty?


Cookies are the perfect recipe to share with this post because who doesn't really appreciate the perfect cookie?  I took these camping last weekend and I think everyone in the group enjoyed them.  Even with the sneaky "healthy" stuff I snuck into them, the whole bag disappeared!



I had to find some way to use the Macadamia Nuts I brought back from Hawaii this spring.  They've been patiently sitting in my refrigerator waiting for me to decide.

I think I have it hard, these little yellow flowers work hard, against all odds, to shine bright in the desert!


Oatmeal White Chocolate Macadamia Nut Cookies

(Based on the Eating Well Oatmeal Chocolate Chip Cookie recipe)
Made about 40 cookies

2 cups regular rolled oats
1/2 cup whole-wheat pastry flour
1/2 cup white whole wheat flour
1 teaspoon cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 cup tahini
4 tablespoons cold unsalted butter
1/3 cup granulated sugar
1/3 cup brown sugar
1/3 cup unrefined sugar
1 large egg
1 large egg white
1 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 1/2 teaspoon almond extract
1 cup white chocolate chips
1/2 cup chopped macadamia nuts



  1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees and line baking sheets with parchment paper.
  2. Whisk dry ingredients, oats thru salt in a medium bowl.
  3. Beat tahini and butter until blended into a paste.  Add sugars and continue beating until well combined.  Beat in eggs, vanilla and almond extracts. 
  4. Stir the oat mixture into the wet mixture with a wooden spoon until just moistened. 
  5. Stir in chips and nuts.
  6. Using a 1 or 1 1/2 inch scoop, scoop cookie dough onto parchment paper and flatten a bit, placing two inches apart.
  7. Bake the cookies until golden brown, about 16 minutes.  If you have two sheets of cookies going at one time, switch them half way through.  Cool on the pans for 2 minutes and then transfer to wire racks to cool completely.

If you have not invested in scoops yet, do it now!  I love these things for cookies and anything else I can think to scoop.

This is my view as I walk to the grocery store, isn't it lovely?


Mmmm, a plate of cookies.

What view or item did you appreciate in your day today?

No comments:

Post a Comment