This could be called "Taking Requests Two", since a review of good ways to use beets was requested along with the kale request. So here goes, you'll be ready for the whole beet season, from greens to roots.
I adore beets, they just make me happy! But, I fear you'll find my use of beets boring. I use them pretty simply, not much of a recipe required. I welcome those of you that have other beet recipes to share them with us in the comments.
This picture was taken from the Tucson Community Supported Agriculture newsletter from January 9, 2012.
- Saute w/eggs- In a previous post I talked about my favorite lunch. It's basically a saute of vegetables and an egg or two, maybe some feta cheese sprinkled on top. This would be great with beet greens. I simply use whatever vegetables I have in the fridge, it's often just onion, celery, and arugula, spinach, kale, or beet greens. The constant is some form of green!
- Saute 2 - This is not a recipe, but my favorite dinner, when my husband is gone and it's just me is a very simple Roasted Potato and Beet dish. I simply dice and roast a couple beets and one potato. Then I throw it in a saute pan with some garlic and a whole bunch of beet greens on top. The beet greens melt and I have a wonderful savory meal. Don't forget the course salt to taste!
- Quiche - I haven't done this, but I think a quiche with beet greens, fennel, and mushrooms would be perfect, perhaps with a cheese combination of feta and provolone. I would probably go with the rye pie crust I found for this!
The Beet Root
- Slaw - Back in May I posted a beet slaw recipe for you. This is a great way to use raw beets.
- Pickled - I've also previously posted my favorite recipe for quick and easy pickled beets.
- Pizza - Yes, pizza! I posted this recipe for a Roasted Beet pizza last year.
- Salad - I have had versions of the following salad in restaurants and enjoy it. Arugula, roasted beets, and goat cheese.