Thursday, July 5, 2012

Savory Tarts

With summer upon us, I believe one of the best ways to highlight the fresh flavors of our vegetables is in a savory tart!

I was reminded of this by Martha Stewart the other day as I made my lunch and I used her recipe as a guide to create my own tart that very night.



I watched her make the Tomato Tarte you can find on her website, here.  Of course being me, I thought "Well I would like to add Swiss Chard and fresh corn to that dish." and "I don't want to go to the store for Comte cheese.  Yes, I think it will work!"  You can find Martha's recipe at the link above, but I want to provide some thoughts on how you can use this recipe as a guide for your own creation - although it is hard to improve on Martha!

Knowing this, I didn't even mess with the roasted garlic base.  Really, there isn't anything better than roasted garlic.  If you grow garlic, or have access to heads of it from your farmers market, you should be roasting some!


Now I believe this tart really can open itself up to many vegetables.  I had a beautiful head of Swiss chard in the fridge so I chopped that up and sauteed it.  I also had the first fresh corn of the season.  I took one ear and grilled it lightly before cutting the kernels off the corn.  But, I'm pretty sure there would be room for kale and possibly peppers in this tart.


I used white cheddar because that is what I had, be creative with your cheese.  A simple feta topping would have been perfect also.

One last hint, don't be afraid of the crust.  Use the food processor and even spice it up by adding some herbs.  I used Whole Wheat Pastry flour and added some thyme to my crust. 



This made a great dinner and the next day it still made a special lunch, sided with some fruit.  Treat yourself to a special dinner and lunch over and over again through the summer with this fresh vegetable tart. 

No comments:

Post a Comment