Monday, July 23, 2012

Three, Four or Five Bean Salad

It's that time of year.  The flower beds and the farmers markets are both overflowing and colorful.



Everyone remembers the traditional three bean salad from childhood.  While it often included canned green beans and probably more sugar than was needed, the recipe was on the right track.  It can be a great protein packed snack or lunch.  So, as I looked at the beautiful green beans I found at the farmers market, this salad was the first thing to come to my mind.



I used this Three Bean Salad from Eating Well as my base recipe, but below you can find my final recipe. 

In addition to the green beans, I had found these amazing Dragon Tongue Wax beans at the farmers market.  Aren't they pretty?  I was very excited, but I learned something that I'll share.  The purple goes away when they are cooked, or in this case even briefly blanched!  I suggest, if you are lucky enough to find these beautiful beans, that you eat them raw to enjoy their pretty coloring.



Four Bean Salad

Dressing
  • 3 tablespoons cider vinegar
  • 3 tablespoons rice vinegar
  • 1 tablespoon lemon juice
  • 1 tablespoon sugar
  • 1 tablespoon whole-grain mustard
  • 1 tablespoon olive oil
  • 1/2 teaspoon salt
  • Freshly ground pepper , to taste
Salad
  • 1/3 cup diced red onion
  • 1 15-ounce can chickpeas, rinsed
  • 1 15-ounce can red kidney beans, rinsed
  • 1 pound green beans, trimmed and cut into 1-inch pieces
  • 1 pound dragon's tongue wax bean or any other varietal
  • 3 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley
  • 2 tablespoons chopped fresh basil

Directions
  1. Put a large saucepan of water on to boil. Fill a large bowl half full with ice water and place next to the stove.
  2. Drop fresh beans into boiling water until just tender, about 3-5 minutes.  Remove with a slotted spoon and put in ice water to maintain color.  Pat dry and add to the bowl.  My salad was nice and colorful for dinner after I made it, but today the colors of the beans had muted some.
  3. Whisk cider vinegar, rice vinegar, lemon juice, sugar, mustard, oil, salt and pepper in a large bowl until blended. Add onion, parsley, basil, chickpeas and kidney beans.  Toss to coat. 
  4. Add the fresh beans and toss to coat.  Serve immediately or chill.

As always I want to leave you with the thought of possibilities.  What would make this the perfect salad for you?  Feel free to change it up as needed for you.  And remember, who says there can only be three beans in the salad, or, who says there can only be beans?  Feel free to add corn, peppers or whatever makes you happy!

No comments:

Post a Comment