Saturday, September 1, 2012

Project Introduction: Grain Explorations

Thank you to everyone for your patience.  It's a bit busy around here as we work on important things like spending time with our niece and nephew and organizing a large move.  In addition to great outdoor time with our niece and nephew,


we also had wonderful relaxing time with them!



Now, with a large move coming up (more to come when it really happens).  You might think that I'm checking in to beg for patience - I did think about it. 

But I think what I really need is something positive to focus on and to be successful at as we maneuver the world of selling and buying homes, dealing with inspectors, deciding what to sell or give away and what to pack, etc.  In other words, something I can control!

I've been thinking about focusing the blog on a project for awhile.  Since I'm in a transition year without a garden, it doesn't pay to focus on vegetables.  I've decided the other thing I always want to know more about are grains.  So on this first day of September, let's join in with the throngs of students going back to school and learn something new!

Title: Grain Explorations

Plan: 

With the move and possibly an upcoming kitchen overhaul, it seems silly to start a project, but there is always a reason to put it off, to not learn something new.  I am plowing forward with the idea that when home, i.e. not traveling for work or in a hotel,  and in a working kitchen I will make an effort to cook with grains each day.  Really I already do this, but in addition to my favorites of whole wheat flour, brown rice and quinoa.  We will get crazy and try things like amaranth, teff, millet, bulger and more.  There will be sides, meals, and we'll also do baked goods with a variety of whole grain flours, such as rye and spelt.  There will be recipes that are gluten free and those that are not.  So essentially, you can look forward to lots of ways to stay away from white flour and sugar. 

Check back often.  I hope you are looking forward to these explorations as much as I am!

No comments:

Post a Comment