Friday, November 2, 2012

Pear Pie

We've talked about pie before.  But it seems people are still intimidated by pie.  What throws people? Is it the crust?  Maybe the time it takes to peel fruit?  I am here to say "No More"!  Pie gives too much joy, it should not be put off for the fear that it won't come out perfect. 



I make a lot of pies and maybe one in three crusts is great and half the time I don't get it done in time for it to rest and it doesn't come out in pretty set shapes, but is a little runny.  They are still eaten quickly and they still make the people I made them for feel loved.

I recently made a pear pie.  Did I mention the Asian Pear tree we have?  These pears are not as soft as some, even after cooking.  I probably could have used more sugar, I'm always cutting the sugar.  And, I probably could have improved the crust by using white flour, even some white flour.  But you know what, it's still tasty!

Here's the general direction I take on pie, but if fruit pies are too much work, do something easy like a pumpkin or a pecan pie.  You could always {gasp} by the crust at the store, too.


Basic Pie Crust - This is the basic flaky pie crust I've been using.  I like 1/2 butter and 1/2 shortening and this is the Basic Flaky Crust out of "Pie" by Ken Haedrich, except I never use white flour.  It makes one crust.

Crust tip: Everything should be cold including flour and bowl.

1 1/2 cups flour (this last time I used all spelt)
1 Tablespoon sugar
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/4 cup cold unsalted butter, cut into pieces
1/4 cup cold shortening
1/4 cup ice water
  1. Put dry ingredients in the food processor and mix until just blended.
  2. Put in the butter and shortening and mix in short bursts until small pieces. 
  3. Add ice water, one tablespoon at a time and mix until crust just barely pulls together.
  4. Pull into a ball wrap in plastic wrap and refrigerate for at least one hour.
  5. Roll out on a floured surface, or between two sheets of wax paper.  Put in pie pan, crimp edges and put back in fridge for 20 minutes.


Filling
About 6 cups of sliced fruit.
1 Tablespoon Lemon Juice
1/2 cup sugar
2 Tablespoons cornstarch
1/4 teaspoon cinnamon
pinch of ground nutmeg
pinch of cloves
pinch of salt
  1. As you are peeling (if desired) and cutting the fruit, mix in the lemon juice, so the fruit doesn't brown.
  2. Mix together sugar through salt and then gently stir the dry ingredients into the pears and let sit a 5-10 minutes.
  3. Put in the pie crust and put the pie into a preheated 400 degree oven.  Bake for 30 minutes.
  4. After 30 minutes,
    1. Turn the oven to 375 degrees.
    2. Take the pie out and put the crumble on top of it. 
    3. Bake for another 30 minutes or so, until the top is brown and the pears are bubbling.  If needed, cover the edges with aluminum foil so they don't get too brown.


Crumble
1/4 cup flour ( I use wheat)
1/4 cup oats
1/4 cup brown sugar
1/4 cup chopped walnuts
1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
pinch of salt
1/4 cup butter

Mix together in a food processor or with your fingers, until butter is crumbled throughout.  Store in the refrigerator until the pie has baked 30 minutes.


Pie.  Just the word can make people happy - and I'm pretty sure it's not just my husband! 

1 comment:

  1. "...pie gives too much joy...;" truer words were never spoken. Thank you for matching my love for eating pies with your love for baking them. We fit together on so many levels.

    ReplyDelete