Tuesday, January 1, 2013

Carrot Cake Waffles

Yep, you read that title right, Carrot Cake Waffles.  That got your attention! 

We hardly ever make big breakfasts anymore, but I've been craving some pancakes or waffles.  This is unusual for me as I don't normally choose sweet for breakfast, but it was time to give into this craving - therefore, it was time for breakfast for dinner!   To top it off, my husband was sick and something comforting for dinner was called needed.


So I decided on waffles, but then I felt that little guy on my right shoulder saying, "But then there aren't any vegetables ... and it's dinner."  Well, I'm creative, I can solve that problem.  So I decided to make my own waffle recipe for Carrot Cake Waffles.  This is my first try, there are a few things I'm going to tweak and I'll get back to you with Version two.  But I've already decided that Zucchini Bread Waffles will be necessary in the future also!

Carrot Cake Waffles Version 1
This made 12 waffles.

1 cup Whole Wheat Pastry Flour
1/2 cup Oats (regular)
1/2 cup Gluten Free Whole Grain Flour Blend (This is a King Arthur blend, but you could use regular white or wheat flour here.)
1/4 cup packed brown sugar
3/4 teaspoon baking powder
3/4 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
3/4 teaspoon cinnamon
1/8 teaspoon nutmeg
a pinch of ground cloves
2 eggs, beaten
1 cup milk (You could substitute soy milk or whatever your preference.)
2 tablespoons Olive Oil (I'll be tweaking this oil combination next time.)
2 tablespoons Flax Seed Oil
4 tablespoons melted unsalted butter
1 cup yogurt (Any type of yogurt will work.  I used plain greek.)
1 cup grated carrots (Next time I will be grating the carrots smaller and adding more.)
1/4 cup raisins (More raisins next time!)
Toasted Pecans

This is a long recipe but it's basically broken into two parts: dry and liquids. 



1. In a large bowl, mix together all your dry ingredients: flours, oats, baking powder, baking soda, salt, spices, and brown sugar.

2. In another bowl, mix together your eggs, milk, oils, and yogurt. Stir in the carrots and raisins.


3. Slowly stir the liquids into the dry ingredients and let sit 5 minutes while your waffle iron heats up.  Make waffles per the directions for your specific waffle maker and top with toasted pecans.

I served this with a fruit salad.



Happy 2013 Everyone!

No comments:

Post a Comment