Friday, December 28, 2012

Happy Holidays 2012

It's been an exciting holiday in our new home.  To close out 2012, I wanted to share with you just a few snapshots from the past couple weeks, to give you a feel for everything going on in our corner of Missoula.

There was of course candy making.  This year I only made toffee and peanut brittle.  This was taken right before the brittle turned dark and I realized my thermometer was not working correctly.  Time to reinvest in an official candy thermometer.


What would the holidays be without a kitchen out of control?  On this particular evening I was tackling Spice Cookies and candy at the same time.  Multi-tasking may not be a good idea in the kitchen.  Especially when there is something on the stovetop.


Mmmm, appetizers.  This year we enjoyed appetizers for Christmas lunch, because really - who can eat Christmas lunch, appetizers and Christmas dinner?  But yet, I'm not willing to give up the appetizers!  I like a savory brie and this fit the bill.  I mixed up some chopped walnuts, prosciutto,salt, pepper, and some Mushroom Sage Olive Oil for on top of the Brie.  This I baked and the prosciutto was crispy as the brie started to ooze.  It was yummy!



What is that you see?  A rug and furniture in the living room, the Saturday before Christmas was so exciting.  Our furniture was delivered and good friends arrived from Green River to share the holiday with us.


We went with the traditional (ok, not so much) Rouladen and Spaetzle Christmas dinner.  Watch for a full blog post on Rouladen and Spaetzle in the future, in the meantime, trust me when I say - yummy!  Until next time, Rouladen is thinly sliced meat rolled up with bacon, pickle, and onion in the middle.  Below you see it right before the rolling stage.


Friends.  I can not express enough how special it was to have Lorna and Marco share this holiday with us in our new home.  The four of us explored the local breweries, laughed, and talked.  We skied twice and went for a couple great walks, including a really nice Christmas morning walk out our back door and into the hills and woods.

 
Joe and I want to wish you and yours a very happy holiday full of friendship; family, if you are close enough; and joy. 
 
 


No comments:

Post a Comment