Friday, April 12, 2013

Easter For One

My dear husband was traveling over Easter Weekend.  Luckily it was a stunning weekend here in Missoula, a weekend that made you believe Spring was not only right around the corner, but it, in fact, was here!


On Saturday I gave the fruit some love.  The Raspberries received a much needed pruning and tying.  How did we learn things before the Internet?  It's so handy.  I simply googled Pruning Raspberries and watched this great 8 minute video from the University of Maine Extension office.  I also cleaned out the old dry strawberry leaves and the flower beds inside the protected patio area.  The rhubarb didn't need any love, but I'm sure I could watch it grow that weekend!


On Sunday, I knew I would be outside again and wanted a nice brunch to keep me going all day.  The below sautéed kale topped with two local eggs and a little fruit was perfect!


I then spent almost 7 hours outside, cutting down the ornamental grasses, until my back said "Enough!".   Yes, all the grasses below are now gone - in fact three weeks later and there are new bright green grasses coming up.  I'll have to do a future post on the spring gardens.


The week before I had received the much awaited half pig that the great farmers at Tucker Family Farms lovingly raised for us.  I'm sure you'll hear more about this wonderful meat in future blog posts, but back to Easter ... I had some fresh ham steaks in the freezer, I thought that would be the perfect way to get a little ham on Easter.    Now I can't eat a whole Ham steak, that actually lasted me 3 meals!  So I dreamed up the following Easter Meal for One.

I decided to make a scalloped potato and ham dish, but I used what I had so Scalloped Butternut Squash, Sweet Potatoes, and Ham was born.

 
I can't provide you the recipe since I didn't use one.  I made a simple sauce with butter, onion, corn starch, milk, salt, pepper, and just a little white cheddar cheese.  Similar to a Béchamel.


Then I just layered the squash, potatoes, and ham and poured the sauce over it and baked until it looked good.


Since I didn't use a recipe, it didn't thicken quite enough.  But it was tasty paired with a nice salad and the well deserved beer!


One can enjoy healthy local foods even when just cooking for ourselves.

No comments:

Post a Comment