Friday, July 26, 2013

Morsels of Mindful Living


Kneeling in the garden I pull back the Lavender with one gloved hand to pull the grasses and weeds around the base with the other gloved hand and I pause...

I feel ...

The pressure of my knees on the kneeling pad, just pressure no pain today;
The warmth of the sun on my back and soaking through my hat to my hair and scalp, as if the hat weren't even there;
The patient movement of my fingers as they work to pull the weeds slowly from the earth to obtain the most root possible.

I smell...

The warm earthy scent of the ground as I break it open;
The scents of the Lavender, Honeysuckle, Echinacea, Mint, Thyme, and Sage that surround me;
How these scents all intermingle and become more focused with the intensity of the sun.

I hear...

The bee's going about their work on the Lavender and Russian Sage.  They buzz all around my head, but we have an understanding that we are beneficial to each other and we allow each other to calmly go about our individual efforts.
The leaves of the trees and the tall grasses as the welcome breeze blows through on the top of our hill.

I follow my breath as I inhale the smells and the garden into my soul were it creates and grows it's own garden of flower memories that will last all winter until spring first blooms again.

2 comments:

  1. This is so beautiful in both meaning and writing, Christine! Thank you for sharing.

    I have an herby question for you: Yesterday I was riding my bike in PC on the rail trail where it's all surrounded by grasses and flowers and I had definite whiffs of black pepper-like smells. Any ideas what kind of plant that might be? (And no, it wasn't near any houses, so it couldn't have been breakfast cooking.)

    Love , Lorna

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hmm, I'm not positive Lorna. I've heard that about bee balm. You may want to google bee balm for pictures and see if it looks like anything along your ride. Let me know if you figure it out!
    Christine

    ReplyDelete