Thursday, March 3, 2011

Comfort Food

My man is sick.  This means one thing, how can I comfort and take care of him without touching him and getting sick myself?  Ah yes, by cooking.  But the challenge is we don't necessarily have the same comfort food.

I started with the traditional Chicken Soup.  He's really been enjoying the soup.  In making soup, I just use whatever vegetables I have; here we have spinach, onion, celery, carrot, and edamame.... Yes, I know edamame isn't a vegetable!  I actually simmered some organic chicken breasts to get a fresh broth and then I shredded the chicken and added it back in when the noodles were almost done.  I'm not picky about noodles so I used whatever I had which turned out to be some whole wheat spaghetti noodles broken in small pieces.


Next I went for something that is more my comfort food - hey, it's hard watching someone be sick!  Of course, you knew it would entail lots of vegetables, I emptied my vegetable drawer of carrots, asparagus, red cabbage and fennel.  Chopped it in similar size pieces and roasted it.  While that was roasting I cooked some whole wheat spiral noodles.  When they were done I mixed the noodles and vegetables with some Parmesan, salt, and pepper.  Topped it with a some rustic breadcrumbs more Parmesan and olive oil and baked it until golden on the top.  This made for a very comforting dinner for both of us.


Tonight Joe had more soup, while I had beets.  See, Joe was supposed to be traveling today and I had bought beets at Whole Foods last weekend just for tonight.  I fully enjoyed my beets and he fully enjoyed his soup - probably even more so since he got cookies afterward! 

No comments:

Post a Comment