Tuesday, April 26, 2011

Pie

Shall we count the number of times that I have eaten a good dinner only to think afterward - "Shoot!  I forgot to take a picture!"  Let's see there's the Onion and Blue Cheese Tart, the Halibut with Roasted Carrots and Rice Pilaf and last night the Roast Turkey with a Corn and Poblana Pepper pudding.  I even cut the backbone out of the turkey and flattened it before roasting; to help it roast faster.  Wouldn't that process have made a great story?  My father-in-law thought I looked determined with that knife in my hand like the scene in "Julie and Julia", where she is working with the duck.  But luckily there was dessert and I remembered before the dessert to take pictures, not great pictures, but pictures none the less. 




Last night we had Apple Pie with Cinnamon Ice cream for my hubbies official birthday dessert.  For the apple pie I followed the basic apple pie with Streusal topping recipe from Mark Bittman's "How to Cook Everythink".  The Cinnamon Ice Cream recipe came from Bruce Weinstein's "The Ultimate Ice Cream Book".  The key to cinnamon ice cream is a quality cinnamon.  I use Penzey's.  The pie was very good, but it didn't hold together really pretty.  I"m pretty sure that is my fault as it was not my day for pie crust and struggled in getting the pie crust rolled out.  Luckily, pie tastes good no matter what the shape....

The below picture is just crying out for more light and a steady hand. 


No comments:

Post a Comment