Friday, April 29, 2011

Time for Bright Colors

It's time for some bright colors in our food, enough of these pies and roasted dishes from winter!  This past week in looking for a yummy lighter meal that also used up some roast turkey, I came upon this Asian Chicken...er Turkey.. Salad.  I based this on a recipe out of Ellie Krieger's, The Food You Crave cookbook.  Of course I used whatever vegetables I had in the fridge as my philosophy is the more vegetables the better!    First, gather the pieces of your salad.



I used these gorgeous orange slices, you could also use mandarin oranges, but I had fresh oranges that needed to be used.


Toasted some almonds I found in the back of the cupboard.


Chopped a bowl of Spinach, Red Cabbage, Carrots, Jicama, and Green Onions.

As I was doing the above, my mother-in-law was kindly clearing the meat of the roast turkey we'd had 2 nights before.  We set aside a portion of sliced turkey and made the following dressing from Ellie Krieger's recipe.

Asian Salad Dressing
1/3 cup rice vinegar
3 T. soy sauce
2 T. Canola Oil (I used a combination of flax and olive oil
2 T. brown sugar ( I used only 1 T of unrefined sugar)
1 1/2 t. chili sauce
1 1/2 t. toasted sesame oil
1 clove garlic, minced
1 t. fresh ginger, minced ( I didn't have this so I used about 1/2 t. powdered ginger)

Mix all the ingredients and toss!  I had enough dressing left over for a salad the next day.


I served this with the Multigrain biscuits I've posted in the past and it was a perfect meal!  There may not be any trees or flowers blooming yet in our town, but I can put some bright colors on our dinner table!

No comments:

Post a Comment