Thursday, September 15, 2011

Strawberry Ice Cream

I found out Albertson's almost always has organic strawberries, so I picked up a container and then immediately thought - I should have bought two!

Anyway, my head decided it wanted Strawberry Ice Cream - summer's not totally over yet, even as I sit here with slippers on typing this entry.  I use the Strawberry Almond Ice Cream recipe in the only Ice Cream book I have, "The Ultimate Ice Cream Book" by Bruce Weinstein.  I'm pretty sure it's also the only ice cream book I need.  All the recipes have been excellent. 


Strawberry Almond Ice Cream
3 heaping cups strawberries
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/3 cup sugar
2 large eggs
1 1/2 cups half and half
1/2 cup heavy cream
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1/2 teaspoon almond extract
1 cup slivered almonds

Puree the strawberries with the salt in a food processor or food mill.  There should be about 2 cups of puree.  Set aside.

In a medium mixing bowl, beat the sugar into the eggs until thickened and pale yellow.  Set aside.

Bring the half and half to a simmer in a heavy medium saucepan.  Slowly beat the hot half and half into the eggs and sugar.  Pour the entire mixture back into the pan and place over low heat.  Stir constantly until the custard thickens slightly.  Be careful not to let the mixture boil or you will scramble the eggs.  Remove from the heat and pour the hot custard through a strainer into a large, clean bowl.  Allow the custard to cool slightly, then stir in the strawberry puree, cream, vanilla, and almond extract.  Cover and refrigerate until cold.

Follow the directions of your ice cream maker, adding the almonds in toward the end of mixing. Put in the freezer until you can't wait any more and dig in!


Christine's Ice Cream Tips
  • I've found you can substitute whatever milk you have in the fridge for the half and half.  I used 1 % in this recipe.  The closer you get to skim, the more you may deal with ice crystals if the ice cream is in the freezer more than a few days.  Really?  Your ice cream is in the freezer more than a few days???  I've also used soy milk interchangeably with good results.
  • I also use regular cream, not heavy cream.  Unless I'm really trying to impress others!
  • The biggest tip for homemade ice cream is to cover it with some plastic wrap before putting the cover on the dish and freezing.  This really keeps the ice crystals away.
I must say, I think this is the best Strawberry Ice Cream I've made.  I made a light comment that I think I would have liked plain strawberry better without the almonds.  I was immediately told that no, the dear husband likes the almonds.  You choose!

No comments:

Post a Comment