Saturday, December 10, 2011

A Winning Appetizer

Blue Cheese Stuffed Bacon Wrapped Dates

Ok, I'll just let you read that first line again..... need I say more? 

There are three ingredients in this appetizer and they are super easy although they do take some prep time.  The only problem with this appetizer is they'll go so fast you'll wonder if it was worth the prep time. 

I started making these last year and every time they are a hit, barely making it to the table.  I made them for a holiday party recently and I didn't even get one!  But, I'm assured they were good.  So here are your simple directions.

1. Pick up a box of whole dates in the store.  For this batch I chose the Medjool Dates. 
2. Put a slit in each date, pitting them if they still have pits.  As you can see below, my dates had pits.
3. Try not to eat them all as you pit them.


4. Stuff the dates with blue cheese.  I use a block of blue cheese and slice it, as it's slightly less messy, but you could use crumbled.

Hint: I have found that it pays to do this earlier in the day and then put the stuffed dates in the refrigerator, so they are nice and cold.  That way the blue cheese doesn't totally melt away before the bacon is done.



5. Cut bacon in half or thirds, depending on it's length and partially cook in the microwave or oven. 
6. Wrap the bacon around the dates using a toothpick to secure.
7. Bake at 400 degrees for about 10-15 minutes, or until bacon is crispy.



Notes:
  • You could also use Prosciutto in place of bacon.  If you do, there is no need to partially bake it.
  • Partially cooking the bacon is the second key to not losing all the blue cheese.


This is a definite "Please Repeat" appetizer according to my husband.  Happy Holiday Entertaining!

No comments:

Post a Comment