Friday, January 6, 2012

2011 Christmas Project

Hello;
Sorry about disappearing for almost a month there.  I kept thinking "maybe you should put up a note saying you are taking a break", but then I'd convince myself I'd get a post up soon.  Hmmm, what's your definition of soon?

Anyhow, here we are in 2012 and it really is time to begin again!  Let's start with a crafty post and then we'll move back into food. 

I took the plunge this fall and "committed" to more craftiness in the future by purchasing a Silhoutte Cameo machine.  This machine can cut vinyl, fabric and more.  I used a similar machine (a Cricut borrowed from a friend) to do the wall art in my office, found in this post

This year for my Christmas gift project, I decided to make coasters.  I got the idea from http://www.tipjunkie.com/.   I think you'll agree these are great gifts.  Who doesn't need a set of nice coasters either for year around or to brighten up their end tables during the winter season?

You need three items to get started:
  1. Tiles - Home Depot, here I come!
  2. Thin cork board for the bottom.  Go with the self-adhesive!
  3. Vinyl.  You can order this online at a variety of places.  I ordered from, http://www.expressionsvinyl.com/.
Now, you will also need something to cut the vinyl.  Unless you are committing to future craftiness, I wouldn't suggest purchasing a Cricut or Silhoutte just for this job.  Maybe you also have an amazing crafty friend who'd be willing to let you use their machine?

My initial plan was white tile with red snowflakes.  These can be out all winter! You can see my snowflakes and tiles below.  Note, one is turned over to show the cork bottom.  My dear husband joined in and helped by cutting the cork and putting it on the tiles!


How cute are they tied up in ribbon for giving?

I quickly got distracted by the variety of colored tiles at Home Depot.  Below you can see some green tiles with red.   Hmmm, I really must find the best place in my house to take pictures!  Sorry about the glares.


I also quickly started thinking about the individual receivers of the coasters.  See the below tiles made for a dear friend and my yoga teacher.  The tiles are a pretty clay color with the bright purple Bohemian designs.


And these were the clay color tiles with chocolate brown vinyl.  They will work year around!


Brief vinyl cutting tips:  These machines are nothing short of miraculous.  Once you have cut your design (specific to your machine):
  1. Peel off the vinyl around the design.
  2. Lift the design off your vinyl backing by using simple clear contact paper.  Press it down over the design -- lift-- and then carefully set it down on your tile or wherever it's home will be. 
  3. Press the design down onto it's desired base and lift the contact paper off.
What crafty projects did you take on this holiday season?

1 comment:

  1. LOVE it! Nice job! I love that your resolution is to be more crafty, mine is to keep my plants alive :)

    ReplyDelete