Tuesday, December 18, 2012

A Home

So, how long do I get to ride the "busy from moving" excuse when it comes to not posting very much? 

As you've seen the kitchen has been up and running, but the house has still been pretty bare for about 2 1/2 months now.  During that time, we've needed some comfort food to deal with the empty rooms.  As I was thinking we needed comfort food, I noticed that The Good Food Store, which is the most amazing store ever, had locally raised pork roasts on sale.

We all have a different idea of comfort food, but to me the crock pot can turn out some pretty tasty comfort food.  So, I got up one morning and I browned the pork roast.  I simply sprinkled it with salt, pepper, and thyme and browned it quickly.

 
I cut up some vegetables and put them in the bottom of the crockpot.  I chose onions, fingerling potatoes and sweet potatoes.  Carrots or other root vegetables would work, if desired.
 

Don't forget the splatter screen when browning at high temperatures.  Wouldn't want to mess up the new counter tops!  You would not have to brown the piece of meat, but I feel like it really adds good flavor.


Then I just top the raw vegetables with the browned pork roast.  This same recipe can be followed with any piece of meat.  When using the crockpot for a long slow roast of any type of meat, put the raw vegetables in the bottom and the roast on top.


Cover and cook.  I let this cook on high for 7 hours and ta da!  The pork roast fell apart and was very moist and flavorful.  This was perfect with a small side salad.


It felt like Santa had come yesterday, as we finally got furniture for the upstairs living room delivered.  We have furniture and a rug, which finally encouraged me to put some white lights around the windows.  Last night as I walked around turning off lights, I stopped at the doorway to that room.  It's the first time this house we bought and love feels like a home.

No comments:

Post a Comment