Thursday, May 9, 2013

Date Bars

I hope everyone is enjoying this beautiful spring.  Spring has definitely sprung in Missoula. 


The trees are blooming and the first farmers market was full of vegetables, raw honey, sun, and fun!


I finally got back to a recipe I've been wanting to tweak before posting.  I'm personally a big fan of dates and while this recipe may get set in the back of the folder until next fall, I look forward to many more date bars next winter.  It's full of good fiber and gluten free.


My husband had a bar for breakfast this morning and last night he enjoyed them with the only thought that ice cream would be a nice addition.


Gluten Free Date Bars

Fair warning - I don't like to skimp on the middle date layer and I like nice buttery crumble.

Ingredients for Crust and Oat Crumb Topping
1 cup rolled oats
1/4 cup flaxseed meal
1/3 cup brown sugar
1 cup Gluten Free Flour Blend (I use King Arthur's Gluten Free Whole Grain Flour Blend)
1/4 cup almond meal
1/3 cup pure maple syrup
5 oz butter (or a little more than 1/2 cup)
1/8 cup (or to taste) chopped unsweetened coconut


Ingredients for Filling
1 3/4 cup dates, pitted and chopped
2/3 cup water
2 Tablespoons lemon juice


Directions:
  1. Preheat oven to 400 degrees and lightly spray a 8x8 or 9x9 square baking dish.
  2. In a bowl mix together oats, flax, brown sugar, flour and almond meal. 
  3. With a spoon, mix in maple syrup.
  4. With a pastry cutter, cut in butter.  (Fingers would also work!)
  5. Press 2/3 of the dough into the prepared dish, pressing down into a crust and slightly up the sides.
  6. Bake the crust for 6-8 minutes.  It just needs to be set, not browned.
  7. In the meantime, simmer your dates, water, and lemon juice over low heat.  Stir regularly until water is absorbed and mixture is getting creamy.
  8. Into the remaining crust crumbs, mix in the coconut.
  9. After you pull the crust from the oven, top with the date mixture and crumble the remaining crust on top.
  10. Bake in the 400 degree oven for 15-20 minutes or until golden on top.
  11. Cool completely and cut!
Layer One: Baked Crust

Layer Two: Topped with Dates

Layer Three: Topped with Crumble:

Additional Notes:
  1. I think a 1/4 teaspoon cinnamon might also be a good addition to the top crumble.
  2. Trying to cut out butter?  My next efforts are going to be to replace some of the butter with coconut butter!  If you try it let me know.
  3. Any type of date will work.  I used two different types in here.  I splurged for the pitted dates because it's like cleaning shrimp - why if you don't have to?
  4. Could you substitute honey for maple syrup?  I don't see why not!  The maple is a good flavor with the dates though.

Happy Blooms!


No comments:

Post a Comment