Friday, January 14, 2011

Healthy Cookies?

I have a secret.  Sometimes when I'm baking healthier versions of cookies and muffins, I think I tell people they are healthy so they will turn up their nose and there is more for me!   I really do prefer heartier grains and if some whole wheat, oats, and unrefined sugar are excuse enough for me to eat them, then that works for me.  I think Joe is on to me though, he'll eat any cookies I make no matter what I call them! 

Lately, I've had the goal to use up some of the grains I buy.  I am horrible - it's a weakness!  I stand in front of the Bob's Red Mill section and think, "Mmmm, that sounds good -  I might need that in the future".  So in organizing my cupboard I have some of the hot cereal mixes that I haven't been using for hot cereal.  I popped on the Bob's Red Mill website and, low and behold, there were recipes!  It's so convenient because you can search for recipes by the product you want to use.

Below you can find the Peanut Butter Oat Grain Cookies, featuring the 7 Grain Cereal.  They have a little crunch to them which is pleasant because other than that the cookies kind of melt in your mouth.  I used honey, I wasn't sure what they meant by fructose.  I don't think Joe ever gets as excited as when he comes into the kitchen to the site of cookies cooling.


This morning I whipped up a batch of High Fiber Scottish Oat Muffins featuring the Organic High Fiber Cereal mix to take on our weekend ski trip. There are so many good things in these muffins, including yogurt, dates, carrots and I added just a pinch of cloves and cardamon.  I also used unrefined sugar in place of brown sugar and they are tasty!


What to make next?

No comments:

Post a Comment