Saturday, January 29, 2011

Steak Pinwheels

It was a crazy week and I was ready for a nice dinner on Friday.  I pulled out the rest of the high quality sirloin steak I'd purchased at Wild Oats for Christmas dinner and redid the pinwheels, with a few changes.  Mainly, I used blue cheese instead of feta.

The steps I followed:
  1. Pounded the sirloin steak to a consistent thickness. 
  2. Sauteed some onion, garlic, and spinach, just to wilting.
  3. Salt and peppered the steak, topping it with the sauteed spinach and blue cheese.
  4. Rolled the steak and used a toothpick to hold the pinwheel closed.
  5. Heated oil at high heat and seared the outside of the pinwheel, stuck the pinwheel and pan in the oven at 400 degrees, until the middle temperature was about 125.  I let it sit covered for about 5-8 minutes and as you can see it came out perfectly. 
  6. I was also roasting a potato, mushroom, cauliflower, and broccoli combination to go with the pinwheel.
  7. A lovely salad of blueberries, shredded carrot, fresh lettuce, and toasted pecans pulled this meal together.



Sorry, the picture isn't the best as I didn't move it from the cutting board, but it shows the pinwheel well.

No comments:

Post a Comment