Tuesday, January 25, 2011

Yellow Split Pea Soup

Do you ever have those days where you are focused and just get things done?  That was today for me.  By noon I'd already had 3 meetings with 2 more for the afternoon, plus I'd really knocked out some things on the list!  In addition, I was cheerily, singing my own made up "delicious fishes" song in my head because of some NPR story on Striped Bass this morning.  Go on, just say it in your head a few times, delicious fishes...delicious fishes... delicious fishes.... 

So anyway, I was already heading into lunch happy, but man soup and grilled cheese makes me even happier!

I made a great Yellow Split Pea soup last night.  The peas didn't get as mushy as I would like, but that happens with split peas every so often, and the flavor was still outstanding.  Nothing special just peas, ham, onion, celery, carrots, thyme, 1/2 water and 1/2 chicken broth, but mmmmmmmm good!  And really how can you not enjoy eating a grilled cheese with fun grill marks on it?  I'm telling you, a panini maker is a toy well worth obtaining.


 Well the first night of Cake Decorating class flew by and we didn't even get to do much decorating! Part of that could be because I'm pretty sure I had a sugar high from just sitting in a room with that much frosting, but I learned a couple great tips and of course, I learned about a bunch of tools I really need!
  1. It's always best to make your cake at least a day ahead and freeze it.  Then pull it out and let it defrost for a few hours before frosting.  The texture is much better and there are less crumbs to get caught up in your icing!
  2. We learned a recipe for making icing stiff, medium and light.    Next week we have to show up with a cake and this frosting.  Joe is going to love this class!
  3. We learned a cool way to make sure your frosting is really smooth - did you think I was going to pass on all the secrets?
This week we only had to bring cookies.  So of course, I was baking and cutting out cookies.  But, we only practiced how to use the star tip this week.  Next week, a frosted cake - I've already decided I'll make and bring a coconut cake to frost.  How cute is that little cowboy boot?  Yep, I had a little cutout cowboy too, but his fate was already sealed.....

No comments:

Post a Comment