Sunday, May 29, 2011

Rhubarb Cake

There is one thing that has been enjoying our rainy, cloudy spring and that is my rhubarb.  As you can see, it looks very happy.


There is a pie in the future, but first, I was turning over the idea of an Upside Down Rhubarb Cake in my mind.  So I made sure I had some eggs in the fridge and gathered some stalks of rhubarb.  Pulling them off the plants and stripping off the leaves, which can be poisonous.


Then I found the perfect recipe for me.  I used this recipe from Eating Well for Rhubarb Upside-Down Cake.  I loved the use of Whole Wheat Pastry F'our and I used walnuts, as that was what I had on-hand, but I do think pecans would be yummy.   I also baked it in a cast iron skillet.  I love using this skillet for upside down cakes.


The cake fell out of the pan perfectly.  I felt like this cake was almost better on the second day when the tart and sweet had blended and mellowed a bit.  It was very good.  Thank goodness for Rhubarb, it comes on early when we are craving fresh fruit and vegetables in the northen regions and gives us a big burst of flavor to start off the garden season.

No comments:

Post a Comment