Monday, January 30, 2012

Gratins

We think of gratins as something special, and usually only potato gratins are in the repertoire.  But, the reality is they are pretty easy and can be created with a variety of vegetables, as the one I made on Sunday, determined to only use what I had, demonstrates.

As I was thinking about Sunday dinner, I knew dear husband was going to be exhausted when he got home and a warm comforting dinner would be nice.  I had some leftover meatloaf in the fridge that I'd already decided to make a fresh gravy for and heat up.  I, of course, thought of mashed potatoes but had no potatoes and didn't want to go to the store.  In my vegetable drawer, I had carrots, onion, mushrooms, and one sweet potato. 



Using the simple recipe for Potato Gratin in Alice Waters, The Art of Simple Food as a guide, I created the following general recipe, but you could vary this in a multitude of ways.
  • I think any root vegetable could be sliced into a gratin.
  • If you had them, sauteed greens such as kale or spinach could be layered in.
  • You don't need to add cheese, but let's face it, everything is better with cheese.  You could use Parmesan, Gruyere or others.
  • Vary the cheeses and herbs based on the flavors with which you are working.


Sweet Potato and Carrot Gratin (for 2-3 people)

  1. Slice and lightly saute a handful of mushrooms and 2 chopped slices of onion. 
  2. Season.  I seasoned with salt, pepper, sage, and a little grated nutmeg.
  3. Thinly slice the Sweet Potato and 1-2 carrots.  Whether you use a mandolin or a knife, always know where the tips of your fingers are at all times!
  4. Layer.  I layered sweet potato, carrots, mushroom saute, and a bit of swiss cheese.  I had 3 layers.
  5. Pour 1 cup of milk over the potatoes.
  6. Dot the top with some butter, I used about 1 Tablespoon.
  7. Bake at 350 for about 1 hour or until soft and golden.
  8. It may help to keep the vegetables moist if half way through you press the layers flat into the milk.


What do you have in your vegetable drawer to use in a gratin dish?

No comments:

Post a Comment