Wednesday, January 18, 2012

A Quick Dinner

As we were on a 9 hour drive home the other day, I was thinking, what's in my fridge?  How can I make a relatively easy and fast dinner tonight?  So my mind started thinking, I have, frozen pesto, a premade pizza crust, there's bacon and cheese, some green onions, pine nuts, and peppers.  Yep, I have a pizza!

So after we unloaded the car, got the mail, and put away the cold groceries, I got started....

Step 1, start your meat cooking.
I pulled out the bacon, put it all on a sturdy cookie sheet and popped it in the oven at 375 degrees.  If you haven't made bacon this way try it.  The bacon cooks evenly without me having to pay any attention to it and without making a mess on your stove top.  It'll take about 20 minutes give or take depending on the thickness of your bacon.



Step 2, while the meat cooks, get your sauce ready.
I pulled out those handy ice cube sized portions of pesto I froze last summer, defrosted them a bit and mixed in some extra virgin olive oil.




Step 3, chop up your veggies. More veggies is always better!
I chopped up my green onions, peppers, and banana peppers. 

Step 4, layer your pizza.
This Rustic Crust, is my favorite ready made crust.  There are a few out there, but this is mostly whole grains and it's thin. I've gotten it at whole foods, but this time I got it from a wonderful store called "The Good Food store".



I started with my pesto, sprinkled the green onions, peppers, and banana peppers around, added the chopped up bacon.  Topped it with a mixture of mozzarella and white sharp cheddar and just because I had some sprinkled on some pine nuts.  I'm not a sparse pizza kind of gal...


Step 5, bake and enjoy.  I baked this at 425.  This one dripped all over my pizza stone, but it was yummy, and it never hurts to keep priming that pizza stone!



So, keep a few ready made pizza crusts around and be a little creative with the contents of your fridge next time your tired or running short on time.

No comments:

Post a Comment