Tuesday, January 24, 2012

National Peanut Butter Day

Now this is a day to celebrate, January 24, 2012 is National Peanut Butter Day.  WooHoo!  I am licking the peanut butter off my fingers from lunch as I type.

Peanut butter is the closest thing I come to addiction.  Ask my dear husband!  I do go through periods where I have to abstain because I've been eating it with a spoon out of the jar too much.  It's true!

Here, the Huffington Post talks about National Peanut Butter Day and the virtues of peanut butter, but even they say we should not over do it, something about calories....

Now I am picky about my peanut butter.  I can't eat any of the peanut butters with sugar.  Blah.  Bring on the jars that I have to stir, just straight peanuts please.  And you know how some people are creamy, while others are chunky?  Not me, I alternate between the two!  Who needs those kind of hard decisions!

Peanut Butter Tip #1.  When you buy natural peanut butter, let it sit upside down on it's lid for a couple days, that way the oil moves to the bottom and it's easier to stir it in without making a mess.

Peanut Butter Tip #2. Going on a trip where you may need help getting a healthy breakfast or snack?  Justin's Nut Butter is your answer.  You can order these online or find them in various stores like Whole Foods.  Individual packages of peanut and almond butter?  Who ever thought that up is awesome!  I take these backpacking and will eat it straight out of the packaging to keep me going.

My favorite ways to eat Peanut Butter?

Well for lunch, to celebrate the special day.  I had a piece of toasted bread with local honey and peanut butter and an apple with a little peanut butter on each slice.  Mmmm.

But, I also like the following for snacks and breakfasts:
  • Peanut butter and banana sandwiches or just a banana sliced up with a little peanut butter on each slice.
  • A dollop of peanut butter mixed in a few tablespoons of plain greek yogurt, if it's breakfast I add a chopped apple.
  • Ok, ok, I do eat it with a spoon just straight out of the jar.  But only when no one is looking.  I try not to do this!
  • On pears.
  • On Celery
  • Oh, I also love to mix in ground flaxseed or sprinkle it on top of any of the above.
What are your favorite ways to eat this nutritious food?

No comments:

Post a Comment