Thursday, November 4, 2010

Final Garden Bounty

Last weekend was closure for the garden this year.  The shallots and garlic for next year were planted a couple weeks ago, so we dug up everything else in the garden.  This is what we still had thriving as of October 31st.  Swiss Chard, Cabbage, Kale, Parsley, Carrots, Beets, Cauliflower, Broccoli, and 2 little Kohlrabi.

After digging up the vegetables, we mixed in this summers batch of compost and loosened all the soil.  Lorna scored some straw off the local pumpkin patch on Monday to cover the garlic and shallots.  It is ready for a long. cold winter.  It's starting out warm and mediocore - but a ski girl doesn't give up hope for a long, cold winter!

Then I went home and looked at everything I carried into the house. I stored, most of it, but dealt with the parsley.  I made 2 batches of Parley Walnut Pesto.



I just tossed in parsley, walnuts, parmesan, lemon juice, salt, pepper, and olive oil to taste. After whirring it up in the food processor, I sprayed two ice cube trays lightly with some oil, put in the pesto and froze for a day.  The next day I pulled them out, popped them out of the ice cube trays and put them all in  quart baggy.  So I have about 1-2 tablespoon portions of pesto to use throughout the winter to throw fresh taste into vegetables and pastas.

No comments:

Post a Comment