Monday, August 5, 2013

Raspberry Ice Cream


You'll be happy to know I do intend to keep mixing recipes in with the Morsels of Mindful posts.  We've been traveling and entertaining so it's hard to properly test recipes, but here is one I've been meaning to post for awhile.

We have raspberry bushes.  No seriously - a lot of raspberry bushes!


And these bushes are serious about producing raspberries, both red and golden.


So, Joe has been enjoying raspberries on his cereal every day.  I have almost 2 gallons of frozen raspberries.  I made a small batch of jam, raspberry crumble bars, and now raspberry ice cream.

I, of course, based my recipe on the Raspberry Ice Cream recipe from The Ultimate Ice Cream book with a few changes.  If you make ice cream and you watch my blog hopefully you already have the book!  It's my go to ice cream book.

Here is the recipe I used:

Put 3 egg yolks in the food processor.  Add 3/4 cup honey and 1/2 cup water to a pan and place over low heat until the honey dissolves.  Bring to a boil and stir for 3 minutes.  Slowly add the syrup to the food processor as it runs. 

Add 3/4 pound raspberries, 1/4 t. salt and 1 T. fresh lemon juice and process.


Strain the mixture through a strainer to remove the seeds and add 1 cup cream and 1 cup half and half.  Stir and cool completely before putting it into your ice cream maker.  


This was easier than most ice creams, since I didn't have to make a custard on the stove top.  I just love making my own ice cream.  Recently I also made a Lavender Honey ice cream (using my own Lavender) and a Peanut Butter ice cream.

When I served this ice cream, I served it with chopped dark chocolate and peanuts as a topping for those that wished.


Yum.  Yum.

No comments:

Post a Comment