Friday, August 30, 2013

Stuffed Eggplant

I haven't been posting many recipes lately.  To be honest my digestive system is all whacked and painful again.  So I'm just trying to figure that out and trying to get through all the veggies from my CSA box each week.  This usually leads to a vegetable juice type thing every morning and salads.  But yesterday I was tired.  I was tired of searching for the answer, tired of being sore, and I really wanted something a bit savory and yummy - but something that hopefully didn't make everything worse.

So reviewing my stash of vegetables I realized I needed to use up some of my eggplant.  So that led me to create the following stuffed eggplant recipe AND it was GOOD!  So here it is, sorry for the poor pictures.

This recipe could be tweaked to suit you and the veggies you have in your fridge so treat this as a guideline.  You could switch and make it Stuffed Zucchini, add sliced kale or other greens, or add a variety of other herbs.!


Christine's Stuffed Eggplant
  • Preheat your oven to 375.
  • Wash and cut the ends of your eggplant.  Cut in half and slit each half down the middle, not cutting through the skin.  Sprinkle cut sides with salt and set aside.
  • Gather the veggies you want to sauté for the stuffing.  In 1 Tablespoon coconut oil (use oil of your choice) I sautéed the following in order:
    1. 3 slices of onion, chopped
    2. 1 clove of garlic, minced
    3. 1/2 zucchini, chopped small
    4. 1 roasted poblano pepper, chopped
    5. 1/2 small spicy pepper (from my CSA - I don't know what kind it is!)
  • Check your eggplant. If the salt has brought out lots of nice moisture, soak it up with a paper towel.  I decided the eggplant needed a bit of preheating.  I suggest popping it in the oven for 10 minutes or in the microwave for 2-3 minutes.  I used the microwave as I was ready for it.
  • At the end of the sauté I added salt, pepper, 5 leaves of chopped basil and stirred.
  • Sprinkle the vegetable sauté on top of the precooked eggplant.
  • Optional: I needed a treat so I sprinkled crumbled feta and chopped walnuts on top of the sautéed vegetables.  This was my main course and the eggplant does get pretty soft so the nuts added good texture.
  • Pop in the oven covered for 15 minutes.  Uncover and cook another 15 or so minutes until the top looks a little brown with the walnuts and everything is cooked nicely.

Yes, the plate is dirty because these were seconds for me - but really - it was just stuffed eggplant!

Today's Tip: Roasted Peppers:  Anytime I want a little extra flavor from my pepper I turn on a burner and roast it!  For something like this I left that yummy roasted skin on for flavor, but if I want to take the skin off after roasting them I drop them into a paper bag (no fingers - use your tongs) and close it up for about 15 minutes.  Tada!  They are cooled a bit and the skin comes right off when you rub it with a paper towel!


No comments:

Post a Comment