Tuesday, December 21, 2010

Christmas Treat #2: Pumpkin Waffles and Coconut Macaroons

A marathon baking session takes sustenance, plus my poor husband has not had a good breakfast in way too long.  Sunday morning before beginning with cookies and candy, and after shoveling the driveway and doing an early morning grocery store run, I made Pumpkin Waffles.  I just love Pumpkin Waffles and have, of course, adapted a recipe that came with my Cuisinart, 2 slice waffle iron.


Super Multigrain Waffles - with Pumpkin additions

Ingredients:
1 cup whole wheat flour
1/2 cup unbleached flour - I usually use all whole wheat.
1/2 cup old fashioned oats
1 teaspoon baking powder
1 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
2 eggs, lightly beaten
1 cup soy milk(I usually use whatever I have, often FF or skim regular milk)
2 Tablespoons pure Maple Syrup
1 teaspoon pure vanilla
6 Tablespoons unsalted butter, melted
2 Tablespoons flaxseed oil
1 cup  yogurt
Can add 1/2 cup fruit and 1/2 cup nuts.

To make Pumpkin:
I substitute Pumpkin for the yogurt and add 1 teaspoon of cinnamon, 1/4 teaspoon nutmeg, and 1/8 teaspoon cloves

Other changes: I am always messing with the butter, oil ingredients.  I often substitute a couple tablespoons of ground flax seed for a couple tablespoons of butter.

Directions:
Place flours, oats, baking powder, baking soda and salt in mixing bowl and stir to combine.  In a separate bowl stir together eggs, milk, syrup, and vanilla.  Add to the dry ingredients. Stir in butter, oil, and yogurt (or pumpkin).  Let batter rest for 5 minutes while your waffle iron is heating up.

Cook waffles as directed by your waffle maker.

The real treat for today is Coconut Macaroons.  These did not visually turn out as I imagined, but they are good.  I think this may be a recipe that needed to be changed a bit for our altitude.  For festive reasons, and just because everything is better with chocolate, I melted a little dark chocolate and drizzled it on top.  I am not going to share the recipe because it is pretty vague and there are much more detailed recipes throughout the web, just google Coconut Macaroons and try one!  If you are looking for a fairly easy and quick recipe, that is actually not horrible on calories, this is your cookie!

No comments:

Post a Comment