Thursday, December 9, 2010

Soup and Bread

Is there anything better than a bowl of hot soup with a piece of crusty on the outside, soft on the inside, warm, fresh bread?  I have been trying to make a big pot of soup every week for lunches during the week or even suppers, if the hubby is gone or I have evening meetings.

This past week I enjoyed a nice pot of Black Bean soup.  Of course I add more vegetables than they called for including a package of the handy garden kale in the freezer and I pureed some of the beans.  One of these days I'm going to have to give in and get a pressure cooker just for making beans.  I'm not the best at getting my beans rehydrated and soft enough.


It took us awhile to get the hang of bread here in Green River, WY.  Being around 6,500 feet means one had to make some changes to the bread.  Joe is actually the guy who figured it all out.  Back when I was working on the last degree, he patiently made batch after batch lowering the yeast each time.  We use almost 3/4 t. less than the recipe lists.  Then I figured out the next trick - more water!  This is just a 100% whole wheat loaf using the bread maker and look how high it is!  WooHoo!


Back to the sewing machine and my Christmas project.  I look forward to posting about it, after everyone has their presents, of course!

No comments:

Post a Comment