Wednesday, December 22, 2010

Christmas Treat #3: Grandma's famous Cinnamon Cookies


I can't put it off any longer.  These are the cookies, of which I will make multiple batches and give the most away.  These are my husband's favorite cookies.  They come from Grandma Heuermann and are cinnamon shortbread type cookie.  I've already made 2 batches this year and foresee the need for another, luckily - they are easy!  If you love Cinnamon as much as I do you'll understand that I have been known to serve these for dessert with homemade Cinnamon Ice Cream and hot coffee.  Yum Yum!



Cinnamon Cookies - Thanks to Grandma H
1/2 lb. butter
1 cup sugar
3 teaspoons cinnamon
1 egg, separated
2 cups flour

Cream the butter and the sugar.  Add the cinnamon and 1 egg yolk in order, mixing well after each addition.  Then mix in the flour, just until mixed.  It may seem a little dry, don't worry.

Dump on a large cookie sheet with sides and spread flat on the cookie pan.  I find it works best (less messy) to spread it out with a piece of saran wrap between my hands and the cookie dough.  Get it as thin as possible. 

Brush with the 1 unbeaten egg white and sprinkle with finely chopped pecans.  Bake 15 minutes at 375 degrees.  Or just until lightly golden across the top.  Cut immediately after baking.

Christine's Alteration:  I always have to make the above recipe as is, but for me I often make a batch using whole wheat (regular or pastry) flour and unrefined sugar.  Just as good, but different, these have a more caramelized flavor.

1 comment: